With Pro Plus and Enterprise plan, you can configure SAML 2.0 with OptiSigns via Okta.
Assuming you already using Okta for identity management. If you have not used Okta, it is the leading identity management platform, you can learn more here.
Set up OptiSigns & Okta:
First you need to do some set up in OptiSigns:
If you don't have a sub domain yet, you can set up one by going to:
Fill in subdomain field and click Activate. After that you can use this sub domain for "
You can also map your own domain like digitalsigns.yourcompany.com by following this article.
This will be the URL that you can share with your users so they can log in to use the app, once integration has set up. In our example we will use https://advanced.optisigns.net/
Next go to SAML Single Sign On setting page:
Click Enable SAML SSO.
The settings are:
- Enable Username & Password login: Allow users to also log in with username/password. It’s recommended to disable once integration is all done. As Admin/Owner, it's recommended that you keep at least 1 account with password log in, in case there's issues, you can always log back in from app.optisigns.com to reconfigure.
- Enable User Creation: If users are authenticated, but do not exist in OptiSigns, they will be created in OptiSigns. You should enable this, because you likely already assign/approve users/groups to use OptiSigns, unless for some reason you want to be very strict and want to review roles of users before they can start using OptiSigns.
- Enable User Override: Every time a user logs in, if their group assignment have changed on SAML, OptiSigns will update, override new profile settings.
- Note the "Single Sign On URL" and "Audience URI (SP Entity ID) URL", you will need this to use in Okta later.
Next, add OptiSigns as an App in your Okta account:
Log in to your Okta account as admin -> Application
Click Create App Integration
Select SAML 2.0
Enter App name: OptiSigns
If you want to upload logo, you can use our logo here.
In "Single sign in URL" and "Audience URI (SP Entity ID)", these are the URL that you have in https://app.optisigns.com/app/s/saml-settings
Check "Use this for Recipient URL and Destination URLs"
The last step is just informational for Okta to know how you are using the app.
Select "I'm an Okta customer adding an internal app" as OptiSigns is now an internal app to your organization.
Then click "View Setup Instruction"
Copy these 3 fields and paste in OptiSigns' SAML config page:
- Identity Provider Single Sign-On ULR -> OptiSigns: SAML 2.0 Endpoint (HTTP)
- Identity Provider Issuer -> OptiSigns: Identity Provider Issuer
- X.509 Certificate -> OptiSigns: Public Certificate
Lastly, set the "Sign In Button label", this is the text of the button you want your users to see in their login portal. Use something descriptive like "Log in with Okta" or "Sign in with SSO" or something your user familiar with.
Now your log in portal & integration is all set up.
Next you need to assign users, groups that can use OptiSigns.
Assign & map users, groups from Okta to OptiSigns
It's not required, but recommended to create groups of users to be assigned, map to OptiSigns Roles, Teams so they will automatically have the right role & group.
IMPORANT NOTE: If you don't configure this, all users will be assigned User Role & Default Team (screenshot see below)
To configure how OptiSigns should map the user groups to OptiSigns Roles by going to: https://app.optisigns.com/app/s/saml-settings
Scroll to Advanced Settings and create mapping.
Group Name (group names in Okta), Role (role in OptiSigns) mapping.
It's best practice to create group name prefix with optisigns- and map to OptiSigns like below:
- optisigns-admins (SAML group) -> OptiSigns role: Admin
- optisigns-users (SAML group) -> OptiSigns role: Users
- optisigns-custom-role (SAML group) -> OptiSigns custom role that you create
How to handle Unmapped users/group:
You can map the "Unmapped users/group" to No Team (Disabled)
This way they will receive an error when trying to log in and will have to reach out to Admins to get correct teams, roles assigned. This is can be use as safe guard, in case some user accidently got assigned OptiSigns app but not the right groups.
Note that if you map a SAML group to a Team and then delete the team, it will result in new user being mapped to No Team and will have to contact you to be assigned to a team to use the app.
Next, go to your Okta Admin portal. Click Applications -> OptiSigns.
Click Assign -> People or Groups to use this app. You can also configure your user to request to use the app, but that's beyond the scope of this article.
You can set up group mapping by going to General -> SAML settings
Create these mappings, this will pass information to OptiSigns on what's user's Name and Groups.
The "Attribute Statement" and "Group Attribute Statement" are corresponding to OptiSigns https://app.optisigns.com/app/s/saml-settings
OptiSigns accept firstName, lastName, group by default, but if you changes these in Okta, you will need to match it here as well.
You have configured SAML 2.0 for OptiSigns with Okta.
Now your users can log in using the sub domain that you configured (in this case it was https://advanced.optisigns.net/signIn).
You can share the URL with your users and they can log in with their SSO credential.