Since Roku is a device designed for streaming, it's limited in processing power, storage and capability. This article describe the limitation in term of using the device for Digital Signage application.
In summary, currently you can reliably use OptiSigns app on Roku to display images slide show, playlist.
If you need more feature, please consider an Amazon Fire TV Stick, it is $39.99.
1) OptiSigns App Beta limitations (our Roku app is in Beta, and these limitation is planned to be lifted)
- Only work with images & playlist of images
- Portrait mode, screen rotation is supported
- Video is supported, if you have issue with videos playback, try re-encode your video with this guide.
- Schedule will be supported
2) Roku platform limitation (these are the limitation specific to Roku Platform and will not change once we are out of beta)
- OptiSigns apps will not work on Roku (Social Media, Google Slides, Youtube, etc.)
- Documents, PDF, PowerPoints, etc. are not supported
- Roku has small storage, be mindful of how much content you would like to cache on it
If you have further questions, or feedback please send us an email at email@example.com.