Roku comes with many new Smart TVs, such as the 55' TCL for $299 on Amazon.
It is one of the most cost efficient way to get your digital signs going if you're just starting.
Before we get going, a few limitations you should take note.
1) OptiSigns App on Roku supports:
- Images, Videos, Documents
- Canvas, Templates, Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive apps
- Playlist, Schedule
- Portrait, Landscape mode, screen rotation
2) Not supported: (these are the limitation specific to Roku Platform)
- All other apps such as Social Media, Youtube, News, Streaming videos, etc.
- SplitScreen display.
- Roku has small storage, be mindful of how much content you would like to cache on it
In summary, currently you can reliably use OptiSigns app on Roku to display images slide show, playlist.
If you need more features, please consider an Amazon Fire TV Stick, it is $39.99.
After Roku OS 12.0.0 updates, Roku in enforcing more restrictions to power management & screensaver. Mainly:
- Normal channel/app can play images, videos but cannot autostart
- Screensaver can only play images
(Before RokuOS 12.0, our app can be set as Screensaver to autostart & play video). We have addressed the issue but the limitation remains. There will be 2 apps:
- OptiSigns Digital Signage Player can play images, videos but cannot autostart
- Continue reading to install this app
- OptiSigns Screen Saver can only play images
- Read this article for how to install OptiSigns Screen Saver
Before you set it up, please check these two settings on your Roku device.
- Settings -> System -> Power -> Auto Power Saving -> uncheck "Reduce power after 15 minutes" and "Turn off after 4 hours"
- Settings -> Network -> Bandwidth saver -> Off
To install OptiSigns on Roku, there are 3 high level steps:
- Install OptiSigns channel/app on your Roku
- Pair your screen with OptiSign portal and start assigning content to it
1) Install OptiSigns channel/app on your Roku
There are 2 ways to install OptiSigns.
- Add the Optisigns channel to your account: https://my.roku.com/add/optisigns
And add it to your devices.
- Search for Optisigns on your Roku device
On your Roku TV, Search for OptiSigns Channel.
Add the Channel
First time when launched, you will see this screen:
2) Pair your screen with OptiSigns Portal and start assigning content to it
For detailed steps click here.
If you hear a periodic clicking sound once the app is running, this is the simulation of a button click to prevent your display from re-engaging while content is being displayed.
You can remove the click sound in the Roku settings.
Go to Settings -> Audio - > Menu Volume. Set this to Off.