With Pro Plus and Enterprise plan, you can dynamically map data from Google Sheets to your each of your screens to show your employee's birthday list.
You can use our Designer to turn the birthday list into a Dynamic Data Mapping, then map it to Google Sheets, where you set the name of the screens you want the name list to be different (in this case it's the Name List) and who birthday is today be on that screen. That's it.
Let's jump in and get started:
We will follow the example described above, to create a birthday template, map data so we can set employees' names.
First, log in to your account https://app.optisigns.com/
Go to Files/Assets -> Apps -> Designer
And start creating a menu
Use Templates and select the Birthday template (of course you can create your own menu or any other design topic).
Give your design a name and save it:
Then Click Data Source -> Make Data Mapping.
Give this data element a name. This is optional, but it's a good idea to do so, so you will know what it is when you have multiple data element to map later.
Next, click "Generate Data Source", this will generate a Google Sheets and pre-populate data for you.
Sign in to your Google account where you want to save the Google Sheets
Select the Google Sheets to be created. Then click Select.
Your Google Sheets is created. Click Close.
Notice that the Data Source is now attached to your Design.
You can click the ... to drop down menu. The click Open in Google Sheets
This will open the newly created Google Sheets in a new tab.
Notice the data have been generated for you.
Explanation of data column:
- Screen Name: Name of the screens that you have in your account.
- The app will identify the screens by name and adjust the value based on what you enter in this Google Sheets
- If you change your screen name, you will have to come back and update this spreadsheet later.
- It's a good practice to name each of your screen uniquely and have some convention for location, content to be displayed on the screens, that will help you to identify and manage them easier later.
- ***ALL*** is a special value that tell OptiSigns that if a screen is not specifically assigned values, it will take value from this row of data.
- Asset Element ID: this is unique value auto-generated by the system when you turned an element to Dynamic Data in the process above. This is how the app know where the data is to map
- Asset Element Name: name that you entered in the process above, this is for description, easy to read-only, it does not affect data mapping
- Value: the value you want the screen to display. It's either text or a URL to an image.
How can I auto-update the value?
To update the cell value mapped on the template, you can create another sheet for all your employee birthday lists, and use formulas to match today's date.
When the day meets, it will show the employee list.
Here is a sample link.
That's all! Congratulation!
You have learned how to dynamically update your screen with data from Google Sheets.
Now you have another tool to manage complex and location-based data.